Thursday 27 November 2008

You're still the one* - Shania Twain

I love 'Have yourself a merry little Christmas'!!!! I love the tune - the moody feel accompanied by the optimistic lyrics. And perhaps one of the reasons why i love it so much is because it transports me back to Christmas of 2006! I even blogged about this song back then (see here). Without a shadow of a doubt, it was the best Christmas ever for me (see here)!

In fact, it was during the Christmas of 2005 when i first heard the Pretenders' version of this Christmas song - and i fell in love with it immediately! But it was in December 2006 that the song practically stayed with me everyday! Whenever i listen to it again, i could almost feel the cold winter again, the short days and long nights, living in Michael's room, hanging out with his flatmates, working on campus and then in a Chinese restaurant in town... :-)

Anyways, this time round, i started looking for more versions of the song. There's of course the original version by Judy Garland and the Sinatra's optimistic interpretation of it. I posted up a Katie Melua's version in the link above but unfortunately, it is no longer available on YouTube.

I also found versions by Jessica Simpson, Carrie Underwood, Christina Aguilera and Coldplay. yet none of them impressed me much. Check out the long long list of those who covered this song here.

Some were quite good tho - and i've added them to the Imeem player in the side panel of this blog. There's the brilliant a capella version by Take 6. Really good stuffs. Diana Krall's uber-cool jazzy version is there too. And finally, LeAnn Rimes uses her wonderful powerful vocals to express the song so well.

Really wonderful efforts - yet, to me, the best is still the Pretenders' version. I love it the most. And it is no wonder that it is the first song on my Imeem player for y'all to enjoy (if you have a good internet connection!).

(Yes, i'm listening to it now as i am blogging this!)

*The song which won the Grammy for the Best Country Song and Best Female Country Vocal Performance in 1999, and one of my all time fav love songs!

1 comment:

Gemynd said...

Cool, that has been my favourite Christmas song since forever. I love the Rockapella version. If you haven't heard it:

http://www.imeem.com/people/kpweZk/music/eJGIp2Kv/rockapella_have_yourself_a_merry_little_christmas/

And while we're on the topic of Christmas, will you be in Reading as was planned?