Wednesday 28 July 2010

Kung fu fighting* - Carl Douglas

Everyone will probably know Jackie Chan as a kung fu exponent. I've been a fan of his since young and i still enjoy his movies today - altho some are really bad, just watching him is worth it (eg The Forbidden Kingdom).

I read this interesting write-up and interview with him on the BBC Entertainment site - this was in conjunction with the release of The Karate Kid in the UK. I was glad the writer pointed out that Jackie in movie teaches Kung Fu - not Karate as the movie title suggest.


The Karate kid's teacher!

Here is an excerpt from the article about how his goals have changed in recent times:-

Chan says that he tried to correct the image he gave out in 1978's Drunken Master ("I taught people how to drink and how to fight.") by making 1994's Drunken Master 2 ("Don't drink, don't fight.")

He adds: "I'm not a god - I do bad things. All those years I was learning.

"Right now the box office is not important - I want to do something meaningful - like The Karate Kid."

The Karate Kid, however, does not skimp on the violence. Kids kick each other senseless and young characters get bashed about by adults.

So what is the overall message of the movie for its young target audience?

Jackie Chan gives some martial arts tips

"When you are learning about a martial art, it is about respect," says Chan. "You have to find a good teacher. If you knock somebody down - stop. Bring them up."
You read the article in its entirety here.

I really liked Drunken Master 2 - my favourite kung fu movie of his. It was also one of the chinese movies i watched while in London during my undergrad days - Chinese movies were hard to get over there at that time. The only place to watch chinese movies was at Chinatown - playing mainly old movies. Drunken Master 2 was screened at the South Bank!!!! I watched it with my old mate, Stephan. One memorable thing about the movie was that the audience applauded at the end of the show!!!!! We were amused at the reaction.



And altho it did not do too well, i really enjoyed The Karate Kid. I really enjoyed Jackie Chan too in the movie. I liked how these days, he is not too interested to be the main character, the ultimate hero - but is comfortable playing a supporting role. Just like earlier this year in the movie, Little Big Soldier, he played not the hero and warrior - even tho that role was written initially for him - but that was long ago. He recognised that he is old now and shud play the role of the older man.

Many people think he has passed his prime - maybe so but in my view, he is mellowing into good wine.

*Considered by many as one of the best one-hit wonders!

No comments: