Tuesday 1 April 2008

To sir, with love* - Vonda Shepherd and Al Green

Message from a mate overseas:-
aw, u're one of *those* lecturers...the dead poets society/mona lisa smile/to sir with love/dangerous minds etc type. way to go. live the calling.
Aren't all lecturers like that? Well, as i discovered recently, the answer is in the negative.

A group of us lecturers were chatting together. Some law lecturer was telling the others the kind of (big) money we used to make - and can still make - when we were in practice.

An engineering lecturer asked, "So why did y'all leave practice and come here to teach?"

To which, i earnestly and honestly replied, "We are here for the students!"

There was a short beat of time, and then everyone there burst out into uncontrollable laughter!!! Some (who weren't rolling on the floor) gave me the look which said "Now, that's a really good joke".

I was like, "What...???" to which some laughed even more and others gave me the "That's enough. Dun push the joke too far" look.

I felt so sad after that... :-(

*The remake of the classic by Lulu for the TV series, Ally McBeal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know... i thought the same. and i have learned to laugh at it. one of your colleague has constantly telling me that this job has no future... and asking me to seek for another career. i didn't know how to reply to that person.

imissw said...

well, you can just tell her to leave if she really feels that way!!!!

wat's her problem??? can't stand these kinda ppl - just complain complain, and tell others to leave but they themselves stay on and discourage others. *sigh*

as for me, i'm gonna change the world!!!! woohoo! ;-)

seriously, if i play a part in the positive change of a student, i'm happy.

Anonymous said...

I am marking papers now, and am totally demotivated by it. All those "positive changes" I tried implimenting seems to fail in such a disasterous way. Starting to wonder if anything that I told my students has actually entered their brain? or heart?
sigh, may be not....... :(((

imissw said...

well, rome wasn't built in a day, mate!

i'll hv to keep reminding meself...