Friday 22 January 2010

Around the world* - East 17

In my free time, i decided to clear all the photos from me camera (over a thousand!!!!) and compile all my photos properly in folders - yeah, i can be quite 'Monica' at times.

After doing that, i realised that last year was a real traveling year for me. No wonder i have been so tired at the end of the year.

I started off the year at London, freezing in the cold along the Embankment, waiting for the fireworks across the Thames from The London Eye - and thereafter almost being crushed to death thanks to a desire to eat duck rice at 1 something in the morning!!! You can read about it here under no. 3 on the list.



I made another trip to the UK during Chinese New Year to visit the Uni we are twinning with. It was sandwiched with two weekends in London mainly filled with musicals! :-) Had a great time there with the students and lecturers and a wonder Rayleigh Tower guys reunion in London.



I've been to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for the first time in my life - and i was there 3 times last year. It was a mixture of work and holiday.



Then, i took the opportunity to visit me mate, Michael who was spending a few months working and studying at Taiwan. Another first for me too to that country.



And finally, another first - to Hong Kong after Christmas for the new year. Had a good time at the Peak with Madam Tussauds, Macau, Disneyland and a surprise - that had a replica of Noah's Ark there with some pretty good exhibition.



There was also a trip to S'pore for a run which i never ran cuz i got the dates wrong!!!!!

That's a lot of overseas traveling for me!

Then, there were the local travels - to PD, my solo road trip along the East Coast, church retreat to Fraser's Hill, Young Adults trip to Gopeng and Malacca.

Each trip has been great and special in its own way. I realised i have spent quite a bit - but for most of the places, i din have to pay for accommodation. Work related trips were paid for and i usually stayed with frens - like in London, Taiwan and HK. Flights to HCMC and to the UK was paid for too.

I think it is enuf for now. Esp since after a major surgery (where i'm still need to work some things out with the insurance), i'm thinking that there would be less travel this year and more savings.

Even then, i may be going to China in the first quarter of the year to accompany some students and a study trip. At least that would fulfill my quota of going to a new country each year.

p/s - click on the collages to see the bigger version, esp for the Vietnam one.

*A song from my Uni days. The lyrics "Been around the world but there's no place like home" got us all singing as it was the end of my studies there and we were thinking of going home.

4 comments:

Chermaine said...

sir sir sir, the study trip to china got called off ))):

imissw said...

oh dear... well, i have mixed feelings. thought i could finally go to China! but on the other hand, this term feels very packed and short so i'm glad we'll have more time to cover the syllabus and not tire everyone else.

Chermaine said...

so sir, when are we seeing you again? ;)

imissw said...

come visit me? ;-P

i am planning to make an appearance on friday. maybe u guys can catch me. i'll be seeing the cohort 1 regarding their moots.

but i'll only be resuming class with u guys from the 8th.

looking forward to be back!