Sunday 6 March 2011

Only you* - Sally Yeh

I’m really glad that BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) has resumed. In the first lesson itself, I gained something really important which I could share with some people whom I am close to, to help them thru a difficult period of time. In the second lesson, I gained something which was directly relevant to me.

We’re studying Isaiah and in chapter 3, one of the main problems of the people of God there were their arrogance and lack of humility. They were doing pretty well, storing up on silver and gold, horses and chariots. When horses are mentioned in the Bible, it usually represents earthly things – that men in those days value horses and depend a lot on horses. So when a nation has the best horses and in big number, they will get arrogant and proud, thinking that no other nation can get to them. They become self-sufficient.

That was what I was going thru. Things had been going generally well for me – but I failed to recognize that it was only because God was helping me thru. Instead, I started to think highly of meself, being proud that I could do and achieve so many things. I have to admit that my ego was getting inflated.

Studying Isaiah chapter reminded me not to be arrogant and proud – to an extent that I started to reply on my own strength and ability. It reminded me that without God, I am nothing and can do nothing. It is only thru him and only him that I have the ability to do what I am doing now. And therefore, he should get all the glory.

On Friday, tGiF chose this song for ahf and I found it to be very meaningful and relevant for me. It is only in Christ alone that I should glory.



IN CHRIST ALONE
Shawn Craig & Don Koch

In Christ alone will I glory
Though I could pride myself in battles won
For I’ve been blessed beyond measure
And by his strength alone I overcome
Oh, I could stop and count successes
Like diamonds in my hand
But those trophies could not equal
To the grace by which I stand

In Christ alone will I glory
For only by his grace I am redeemed
Only his tender mercy
Could reach beyond my weakness to my need
Now I seek no greater honour
Than just to know him more
And to count my gains but losses
To the glory of my Lord

In Christ alone, I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory, let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone

*I first heard her version of this song before learning it was from Starlight Express.

No comments: