Tuesday 8 March 2011

A strong strong man* - Rick Astley

A bit late but i'm doing my Oscar movie reviews now!!! 127 hours here followed by A King's Speech and Black Swan. This was the order i watched these movies.



This was a brilliant movie!!!! I take my hat off Danny Boyle. How do you make a movie about a guy with his hand trapped in between a rock and the cliff wall for 5 days plus? How do you keep the interest going? This is a masterclass of how one can do it!!!

Danny Boyle keeps us interested - but more than that, he gets us involved. He got me involved too. I felt the fear, the frustration, the anger, the regret, the hopelessness. Credit to James Franco for a wonderful performance too. And when he finally gets rescued, i felt the relief and the joy.

But i am not surprised it did not win the best movie. It was just not "Oscar material". I'm not saying it wasn't good enuf but just that the best movie usually demands more - a bigger cast, more sets, unlike this movie where most of it takes place around 1 person stuck in the same place.

The movie also made me have great respect for Aron Ralston. He seemed like such a nice and likeable guy. Well, i dun know if that is true or not - but i do admire his courage and mental strength. How many of us would have been able to do what he did? A fren said that instead of cutting his arm off, he would just slit his wrist and die there.

But not Aron. He is indeed a strong strong man - and i'm not saying just physically. Against all odds, he remained alive - and even got himself out of a sure death situation for most people. He did not let despair overcome him. He could have been very angry with the world. Such a freak accident!!! But instead of just asking why, he thought of ways to remain alive.

And not only that, photos of him post that incident really moved me - his love for life did not diminish. Instead, he carried on his adventures, not letting his handicap deter him nor slow him down. He did not wallow in self-pity and regret but he moved on.

Truly a valuable lesson and a good example for all of us to follow!

Let me end with a couple of his quotes:-

"We're all going to make mistakes, ... Your mistakes are the result of choices you make. But, because we make mistakes, does not mean we can't rectify that."

"Whatever you're faced with you already have the tools to transform that adversity into something that's positive. That's what I proved to myself."

*One of his favourite songs of mine.

2 comments:

Ruey said...

I have it on my lappie but haven't dared to watch it till now becoz I read some ppl were completely freaked out by the scenes. Tell me, how bad was it, really?

imissw said...

I actually forgot to mention it in my post. tt's the problem when i rush things!!!

the short answer - yes, it was bad. But just that one particular scene. i still cringe a little thinking about it. they showed more than i expected.

just turn away during tat particular scene - dun think this is a spoiler as we all know how he got out!