Saturday 9 December 2006

Fat boy* - Jewel

In light of the moody previous post - and the fact that i'm sure no one wants to hear me rant about giving-up-hope-but-hope-returns-again nor talk about an incredibly depressing - but absolutely brilliant - movie i just watched earlier (Nobody Knows), here's something light-hearted which i drafted weeks ago but never got to publish it.


Yeah, if I’m not careful, I could end up being Jewel’s abovecaptioned song!!! For those of you who are protesting “but… but you are a fat boy…”, lemme tell ya that that was a thing of the past! ;-P

Just a couple of weeks ago, I weighed meself again – and I found out that since leaving home last October, I’ve lost 16 kgs!!!!! I was telling me mate the other day that the last time I was in the UK, I lost 10 kg – and when me mom saw me, she broke out into tears! Me mate told me that I better stop losing weight – esp since me dad has a heart condition now!!!

Well, I’m not too worried – the last time I was in the UK, I started out at 64 kilos. So losing 10 was really a lot! This time round, I was 80 kilos before I came!!!!! So I now weigh the same as I weighed when I first came over here!

So what’s up wif me then? Me ex-flatmates – esp the female ones – wants to know how and why it happens!

Well, unlike normal people, I notice that I lose weight when I’m happy!!! Really! It’s times when I’m stressed and unhappy that I gain weight. I guess for me, food – or rather, eating – is another form of escapism for me, a source of comfort. When things are not going too well, I eat! Yes, I love food, I love eating. So I guess I overdo it when things are down.


Cuisines from all over the world - Indian in London, British in Scotland, Italian in Paris, Japanese in London, Turkish in Caen, Chinese in Amsterdam ;-P


But when things are brilliant – for instance, last summer – I just feel so full of life and joy that I dun overeat. Dun get me wrong – I still love eating and I dun starve meself. It’s just that I eat to live and not live to eat.

However, since being here in London, I realise I’m eating a lot more than usual. Maybe it’s the cold. Maybe it’s being away from me mates. I dun know. I dun even jog anymore – been 6 weeks since I last did that!!! Me jogging shoes are in Colchester! I sleep so much more too – yup, a regular pig. And I vegetate (or shall I say “potato-tate”?) in front of the TV most of the time too!

Well, at least me mom won’t break out into tears when she sees me again! And I can say that Jewel sang a song about me!


* Interesting song from my fav Jewel's album. Did you know that it was originally titled "Fragile Flame"?

3 comments:

queen shelby said...

Wow...you know who you sound like?

Oprah

You just said exactly what she's been going through, as well as what many other females have a problem with.
Comfort food.

To fill the void, to fill the loneliness,to take away the pain...etc.

You know what yo must do? When you're standing in front of temptation, and you're at the point where not hungry but peckish...
FiGhT that temptation!

Say NO!

Dont succumb to becoming a Bob.

imissw said...

Who's Bob? ;-P

The real "fight" is when i'm back in m'sia, where you can get cheap and good food 24-7!

p/s - wah, you know how to leave comments in "bold"! you have learnt well, my young padawan!

queen shelby said...

"when i'm back in m'sia"
oooh, an actual statement saying you'll eventually be coming back. *claps hands*

ps: Bob's your uncle

pps: not only can i make words bold, what i type can also be senget-ed. Rocks! I dunno how to do the slash/line through the middle of words though...