Monday 5 February 2007

Angel standing by* - Jewel

Angels do walk among us. They are dressed in green – and sometimes white (at least the ones I’ve seen recently). They respond swiftly each time they are summoned by the depressing of a red button. And in a place where sadness lingers and hope seems to be missing, they are there to lift up the spirits of the weary, the sick, the worried.

I’m referring to the nurses at the Sunway Medical Centre – and I’m sure it’s the same all over the world.

After spending so much time in the hospital over the last weekend, I saw for meself these angels in action. To me, the 2 most depressing places one can go to are the Courts and the hospitals. Trust me – take time and go and sit in the corridors of the Courts or a hospital and you’ll feel the weight of gloom pressing down on you.

Yet, nothing seems to be able to get these angels down. They have an abundance amount of patience, they are full of energy and they are always so cheerful. They dun seem to ever complain, they appear to be full of joy, and they go round joking with the patients and with each other. On top of all that, they dun seem to expect much in return.

It is amazing when you think of the kind of things they have to do, the lack of gratitude shown to them by patients who have no energy to even give a smile of appreciation, the pathetic salary they get at the end of the month – and having to spend a large portion of their time with sick and/or dying people, worried and agitated relatives, demanding situations.

In the gloom of the dark hospital corridors and treatment rooms, it is simply priceless to hear their cheery voices, see their sweet smiles, feel their caring touch.

I know – for I’ve seen it wif me own eyes.

To all the nurses out there, you are my new heroes!

*A lullaby-like guitar-vocal song from her brilliant debut album, Pieces of You.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear mun onn, heard about your dad going through dialysis, however i don't have full info. If you don't mind, I would like to include your dad in my regular prayers. Would appreciate specific items. Take care. Li Juin. p/s: Praise God that both your parents accepted Christ.

imissw said...

heya!

Of course i dun mind. :-) Drop me an e-mail or i'll catch u this sunday.