Thursday 1 February 2007

Innocence maintained* - Jewel

Andrew throws out a Draw 4, Wild Card and announces that he has only one card left by saying "Uno!".

"Oh no!", i feign disappointment. "Sure lose oredi!". I drew the 4 cards and after some deep thought, Andrew decides that the next colour of play would be blue.

He then proceeds to draw one card cuz the card in his hand was not a blue card!!!!! It was green.

"Why did you say blue when you had a green card??? You could have won!", i asked.

He gave me a shy smile and said "But i want to play some more!"

And that explains why my Uno games wif me nephew takes forever to end. Now here's a fine example of someone engaging in a game purely for the joy of playing and not for winning.

Unfortunately, that is not how the world views it these days. Winning is not everything - it is the only thing!!!! Who cares how the victory is achieved as long as one wins.

I wonder how long would it be before the world forces me pure nephew into conformity to its standards. But until then, we will enjoy our marathon-never-ending games! :-)

We’ve made houses for hatred
It’s time we make a place where
People’s souls may be seen and made safe
Be careful with each other these fragile flames
Innocence can’t be lost - it just needs to be maintained
Jewel Kilcher


*Song taken from me all time fav Jewel's album, Spirit.

No comments: