Monday 20 July 2009

One more chance* - Madonna

So what does one do when one is sick during the weekend? Watch cable TV, of course!

It was a pleasant surprise when i rewatched 2 movies which i have seen so long ago! The surprise was how good it was!

The first was Titanic.



I've never been a fan of the movie. I thought it was just overrated. I did not have a good time watching it too. I remember who i watched it with and where we watched it. It was at Sunway Pyramid TGV cinemas.

It was after a long day at work. I was also having flu. So a very exhausted me went reluctantly to watch the movie, sniffing away. The people in front of me must be thinking that i was crying thruout most of the movie!!!!

Put yrself in me (DocMarts) boots - would you enjoy a 194 minutes movie if you were in my condition? No! I hated every moment of it!!! I was just willing it to end as quickly as possible!!!

But this time round, i enjoyed it! I laughed out loud when Rose shut her eyes and swung the axe to free Jack from his hand-cuffs! I was moved seeing the poor people all panicking - and eventually dying. It was actually quite exciting seeing how Jack and Rose try to get off the ship safely - even if i know how it would all end!!! The effects were really good.

And i was also touched by Kate Winslet's portrayal of Rose! This was true love! Love that put her own interest aside. Love that was willing to risk her own life - even when all seemed so hopeless, she never gave up. Instead of being dray and safe on one of the life boats, she braved the sinking ship to rescue her lover.

And of course the musicians! True gentlemen and heroes!

May i add tho that i did not watch the whole movie again - i only started watching when the ship was starting to sink. And even then, it did feel a tad bit long before the end!!!

Next movie - Four Weddings and a Funeral.



Now i never dislike this movie. I'm pretty sure i watched it when i was in London during my undergraduate days. But it never really struck me as one of the bests! I love rom-coms and i'm a big fan of Hugh Grant. But this movie never really made it to me heart. It was good, ho-hum and tt's it.

But after watching it again, the sneaky little fella has crept its way into me heart! I missed the starting but still managed to watch all 4 weddings and the funeral so i guess i din really miss much.

I din remember it being so so funny! And i din remember being moved to tears too! But there i was, laughing like a madman and tearing at other parts. The characters were all so lovely! The bond of frenship they shared! The witty and dry humour. I loved how Fiona had such strong feelings for Charles but it was never reciprocated. So bittersweet.

Yes, it is now ranked among the top on my list - nowhere near Love, Actually or About a Boy but not far behind!

So i leanrt a very important lesson - in giving things a second chance! I may be in for a pleasant surprise! :-)

Pics taken from online

*One of her lessor known singles but it is my favourite song of hers!

3 comments:

Ruey said...

I think Kate Winslet actually has better acting chops than most of the usual leading ladies. Just watched her in 'The Reader' over the weekend, enjoyed it. Nx up on my list, Titanic No.2 aka Revolutionary Road. :-)

imissw said...

yeah, i think she is one of the few deserving best actress winners at the oscars in recent times.

vinegar said...

I first watched titanic in sunway pyramid TGV too... we might had just sat in the same cinema at that time. :p