Wednesday 1 July 2009

Bad day* - Daniel Powter

So today was the real start of my holiday! Woohoo!!!!! I was gonna go for a walking tour based on me guidebook - supposed to last 6 hours!

But I got stuck in my room cuz me laptop kept on acting up! It just refuse to respond to anything. It really drove me up the wall. By the time i dragged meself out, i was shocked to realise that it was all dark and cloudy (i had a sad windowless cell room). It looked like it was gonna pour. Cats, dogs and rats!!!!

And it did.

I took refuge at a coffeeshop. I over-ordered and couldn't finish me food. I decided to pack the remainder so that i can snack.

I left and got drenched. Couldn't afford to waste the day away. I forgot to take my food! :-(

Soon, i was soaked to the skin. It was really difficult. The rain drops were big. And icy cold. i was soaked with my sweat mixed with icy acid rain. Wonderful, isn't it?

I almost 'poke kai' - but thankfully, i regained my balance in the middle of the road and made it safely to the other side.

The rain refused to subside!!!!

My sandals got all wet. The insole of it almost came off and it became very uncomfortable to wear.

Later, my toe started cramping up.

All day loooooooong. Poured and poured and poured.

I finally got back. But it wasn't over. They couldn't find my room key. When i got to me room, the cleaners LEFT THE DOOR OPENED. Not unlocked, but OPENED!!!!!!! And i had my laptop, my PDA, some money.

Thank God nothing appears to be taken.

I decided to have a hot shower. I almost 'poke kai' in the toilet when i was washing and soaping my soles!

After the shower, i went down to get some hot water to make coffee. The water they gave me wasn't hot enuf. So no coffee.

Sighs...

But still, it wasn't all bad. I took lots of photos! I spent time in a gallery and a museum.

And lastly - certainly not the least - i felt bad for the locals. If i was having a bad day, theirs was far far worse!!!! Most people are too poor to drive so they travel by bike. They were all drenched. Most of them use 1 raincoat for all riders on one bike.

Not only that, a lot of them work on the streets. Literally! The food stalls by the roadside, the road peddlers - they sell everything!!!! From food to ciggies, to snacks, to drinks, to books, to hardware etc etc. they cannot not work just because of the rain. So the stall are set up and they squat by the roadside using one umbrella to protect themselves.

But surely there will be less people on the streets so 'business' is affected.

Speaking of which, i was told - and i believe - that the locals like to hang out on the streets. It gets too hot and too crowded in their tiny homes. But the rain made them change their plans.

For me, it was just an inconvenience. For them, it affected their livelihood and live style.

What a bad day.

*Made famous when used for American Idol as the 'loser' song!!!

No comments: