Monday 27 July 2009

Shape of my heart* - Backstreet Boys

The signs were not good. Had H1N1 scare the week before. I was still just recovering from my phlegm-my cough when the race suddenly came up and surprised me!

I woke up that morning with a stiff neck and a sharp pain in my shoulder. I tried to get as much rest as i could but i just couldn't sleep.

As i drove to Putrajaya, i used my 'Touch n Go' card only to be informed that i have insufficient credit left. Hello??? It was merely RM1.60!!! The car behind nicely reversed to allow me to back up and move to a cash lane.

I was there early and alone. Actually, another fren wanted to follow me - but i knew that tGiF wouldn't be happy if i went with her. So she ended up not going and i had to kill time all by meself. I just took some random pics here and there and people-watched.


The Palace of Justice - the starting and ending point.


Sun setting

It was a really hot day and as the sun set, it blazed upon us all. The sun soon left but the heat remained.

I really did not enjoy the run at all. It has been so hot and humid even at nights - can u imagine running in those kind of conditions?



The plus points - there was enuf water! More than enuf!!! As it was a hot day, they even started giving out water before the race started. But what was bad for me was that they started giving out water really early!!! And it was given out in bottles. So even tho i wasn't thirsty yet, the 'Malaysian' in me kicked in and i grabbed a bottle - just in case. It turned out to be a real burden. Since they gave out water quite liberally, i decided not to drink from my bottle. So i ran with an almost full bottle of water for more than half the race!!!



I was so totally unprepared for the race. It was rather difficult. I walked for most of the way. At one point of time, i was psych-ing meself up and was about to start running again all the way to the end - when i was greeted by a sign telling us that there were 5 km more to go!!! The Indian uncle next to me read it out loud, with a tone of irony in his voice! To me, that sign was like a bucketful of cold water over my enthusiasm!!! It really killed me. What???? I've only completed half of the race????



So i trudged all the way to the end, telling meself tt i'll run the last 2 km. I tried but my calves started to cramp.

In the last km, there were ppl encouraging us on. One guy was spurring us on and asking us to give him a high 5. I theatrically used my right hand to lift up my left to give him a weak high 5. He ended up having a good laugh.

To my disappointment, there were none of the usual Milo or 100 plus booths. I was feeling so tired and hungry. There was a 1901 stall and eating the frankfurter only made me feel nauseous. Thankfully, there was a can of isotonic drink in the goodie bag (which interestingly, they only gave out after the race).

Along the race, i was thinking - as usual - of what to eat after the run. When it was over, i lost all appetite and all i could think of was going home, having a nice cold shower and going to sleep. No carbo replenishing. I sorta did that for lunch the next day when i stuffed meself silly with a Jap buffet at Hilton PJ. But not much carbo, tho.

I timed meself and it was pretty bad. I only comfort meself with the fact that this was a 11.5 km race and i prolly completed the 10 km mark at a much better time when compared with the KL run a few weeks ago.

I din enjoy the run at all. I must admit that while waiting for the starting gun, i was getting restless and excited. I entertained meself along the way by keeping up with strangers whom i only remember by their bib numbers. There's the irritating A1111 kid who stepped on me toes 3 times b4 the race started. There's this B2423 auntie and her running mates. There was this running bride too!

Running along the bridges wasn't that much fun. Not like running along the Penang Bridge!

Would i do it again? Possibly. Probably. But at least it was a good warm-up for next week's King of the Road! And it was a reminder of what a bad shape my heart is in. Still, it was a nice feeling when waking up the next day with aches - you know, the nice kind of muscle aches, the kind that reminds you that u worked hard! :-)

*Their first single from their 4th album, Black & Blue.

No comments: