Thursday 12 March 2009

Pocketful of sunshine* - Natasha Bedingfield

Text message dated 27 August 2006:-

Ok five minutes to square three

That was in reference to one of the few 'dates' i had with HG back in the summer of 2006. Reading that text message again brought a smile to me face.

In fact, as i scrolled down the list of messages in my Inbox, there were many more reasons for smiling!

Flashback to Monday - i ended up not having my mobile phone for more than 24 hours. So i reverted back to me old Sony Ericsson mobile. It was a pleasant surprise and a wonderful walk down memory lane as i re-read all the old messages contained in that phone. Yes, most of it were regarding my stay - and my subsequent revisit - in the UK.



So there were a few from HG - after losing touch with her for so long, it felt strange to read her old messages to me. A nice 'strange' way. Her voice and a mental image of her saying those words filled my mind.

There were an exchange of some text messages with KeKe - yes, we were texting about HG. :-)

There were a few others from me flatmates - Di wishing me a Happy Mid-Autumn Festival (something which i never and will prolly never receive from anyone!), Chiaki thanking me in Bahasa Malaysia ("tremakase!!!"), and Alberto wishing me a happy birthday and a merry Christmas.

There were texts from mates here in M'sia, to me when i was in Colchester. Stephan and Kristin texted me to tell me how they enjoyed the long phone conversation i had with them, Shelbs sharing her joy with me on the best X'mas gift i've ever received, Charity telling me how she was caught in the middle of a shopping crowd in London on Boxing Day, me travel mates sending their farewell texts after our trip around France... so many!!!

There was an exchange of texts between me and Michael as i waited for the bus at Stansted on my first return to UK after my studies.

Another from me mate in London telling me that she is eating my farewell gift to her - Krispy Kreme doughnuts. She has the distinction of being with me when i had my first ever Krispy Kreme doughnut!

Very simple texts, some of them - but the memories attached to them are so meaningful and wonderful!!!

If i ever need a lift, or put a smile on me face, i know now that i just need to look at these little gems of messages again. As i walked around with me phone in me pocket, it really felt like i have a pocket full of sunshine!

*Taken from her 2nd North American album, this song was however not released as a single in the UK.

No comments: