Thursday 17 June 2010

Anything is possible* - Debbie Gibson

It was the event of the year for me! Some people were soaked to the skin while many others were going to get wet - my eyes were wet with tears. Tears of joy.

My mom got baptised on the 30th May 2010. She is 70 years old. She has now publicly confessed her faith in Jesus Christ (note to non-Christians: baptism does not make one a Christian, but a person is baptised because he/she is a Christian).

As far as i could remember, i have been praying for her since i became serious about my faith. After around 20 years, my prayers were answered - and i received the best Christmas gift ever!

To be honest, i have not been very consistent in my prayers for the salvation of my parents as the years went by. i started losing faith and even tried to convince meself to accept the fact that perhaps my parents are 'not meant' to be Christians. i looked at their situation and their life and realised that it is going to be very very difficult for them in their old age to finally turn from their old way of life and believe in Jesus. Could they change? After spending their whole life as one who does not believe in Jesus and who have been practising Taoist rituals, do i seriously think that they can discard all that and start singing hallelujah to Jesus?

But i've been reminded that while i may not be faithful (among others, in my prayers), God is still faithful. And i'm reminded not to lose heart in the face of seemingly impossible situations - for with God, nothing is impossible!

I see the change in my mother's life. She is so serious about her faith. At church (she goes to another local church nearer to our home), it touched my heart to see her worshiping the Lord together with her church members. She was then listening attentively to the sermon being preached and taking down notes!!!! When i wake up early in the morning, i see her reading her Bible in the downstairs room. At one point of time, i was sure she was more consistent in her Bible reading/quiet time than i was!

Truly, to God be all the glory!

*The title song for her 3rd album which is my favourite album of hers.

No comments: