Saturday 19 June 2010

Have you never been mellow* - Olivia Newton-John

I really shud have been angry. Well, truth be told, I was! How could he have done that (see here)? Was he dreaming? There was a long stretch of cars, stopped in front of me, all caught in a terrible jam. I myself have not been moving very fast, anticipating the need to come to a standstill. I slowed down to a complete stop – and he rams into me. Hard, mind u!

Worse still, he was not apologetic at all! In fact, his fren suggested that I was to be blamed for the accident! He was not aggressive – but he was very rude.

Yet, I tried to be nice to him.

And when we were discussing how much he should bear for the accident, I actually found myself pitying him a little. He din look like a University educated person and therefore, not a professional, not like me who works in the comfort of an aircond office and classrooms. He had a family and kids. I was single. His holiday was ruined – whereas tGiF and I could laugh and thank God over the incident (see here). He also had to pay a lot for the damage to his own car. Yes, no doubt it was his fault. So too bad if you have to pay for your own car and bear the loss I suffered.

Still, I actually had compassion on him and decided that if he can’t bear my loss fully, I’ll cover for it myself. It’s not like I’m so poor. And if he is conning me when he could actually afford it, then the Lord will be the ultimate judge.

Looking back, I am surprised at my reaction. I was telling tGiF that if this took place 10 years ago, I would be out there screaming and shouting at him. I would go all out to ensure he pays every single sen, not just for the damage but for the inconvenience caused.

I came to the conclusion that I have mellowed – no longer the hot-blooded young man but an old man who has seen so much of the world and realize that in some situations, you will have to let go of what is rightfully yours.

But not just to attribute it to age and experience, I give all credit and glory to God. Truly he is transforming me. Nothing is impossible for him – not even a person like me.

And for that, I truly praise Him and give him all the glory!

*One of my all time fav songs, liked this song since i was really very very young. Still love it.

No comments: