Tuesday 30 January 2007

Can't buy me love* - The Beatles

Many have asked if i was planning to join back the legal firm where used to be a partner. Well, in the first place, i'm not so sure that i'm wanted there!!! But in any event, my reply is that if i did, i would have wasted a lot of time and money doing me Masters. After all, the reason why i did me Masters is to get away from that kind of life.

Still, i must say that there has been some moments of weakness when i have flirted with the idea of going back to practice and entertained the thought of being a litigator again. I confess that it is the lure of money that is tempting me...

It's funny but i'm beginning to feel really poor since i got back!!!!! This is in spite of the fact that it was proven last year that London is one of the most expensive places to live in the world while KL is one of the cheapest capitol. This is all the more evident when one were to compare the exchange rate.

Nevertheless, i never felt poor (in terms of ca$h) when i was in London - well, not like how i feel here. There are a few reasons.

The first is that there is a legal minimum wage that one can earn in the UK. It's about 5 quid an hour. No matter what kind of work one does, that is the least one can earn in 60 mins. Of course there are employers who illegally ignore this - but that's another story.

The next reason is the buying power. Lemme explain by giving an example - you work an hour in Burger King, London and you can get a decent meal. You work an hour in Burger King, KL and you still won't have enuf to get a meal there!

Imagine this - i can go to Tesco in Colchester and spend only 10 quid and i would hav bought sufficient groceries for a whole week!!!! the other day, i was in Giant USJ and i was shocked to find out how little i can buy with RM10! Do you think one can work for 2 hours here in BK and have earned enuf to buy a week's worth of groceries?

Oh - and working for a month or two would be more than enuf to finance a holiday in Europe for a couple of weeks, at the very least! How long must one work here to earn enuf for such a holiday???

There are other factors too - like the transportation is so good that one doesn't need a car there. And the weather is so nice to just walk. I used to get free calls and text messages that it feel strange to have to pay for them now!!!!

So, yes, just like the lure of the dark side for Anakin, i was enticed by the possibility of earning lots of money by going back to practice... but i'm resisting it. It's easy when i recall the kind of life i used to have, the kind that made me decide to drop everything and resume me studies. I remember the early mornings and late nites, of not seeing my parents for days even tho we live under the same roof, of not seeing the sunlight on some days, of the pressure and the stress, of the feeling of emptiness when i helped the rich get richer and made the poor poorer...

I've gotta constantly remind meself that while Mastercard can pay for a lot of things, there are some things that money just can't buy.

So it's ok. I'm driving me dad's old car now while me mates are going round in their Mercs and Beamers. I eat instant noodles while they experience fine dining in the latest up-market exotic restaurant in town. I'm planning a trip to East M'sia while they are talking of their next Europe trip. I'm still happily taking photos wif me 2 megapixel digicam while they plan to get their hands on the latest DSLR.

But i'm happy cuz i played UNO wif me nephew and neice this evening, and i went shopping at Giant wif me mom last weekend, and i watched tennis wif me dad the other day, and i hung out at the mamak until the early hours of the morning wif me mates, and i go for a jog every morning...

And those rich mates of mine? They've not ceased ferrying me around and buying me meals since i got back!!!! :-)

p/s - this post is not meant in any way to cause disrespect to those still in practice and/or earning big bucks!
p/p/s - had to add the disclaimer above in view of the many sensitive bloggers around these days.... ;-P


*One of the Fab Four's top songs! And one of the songs that i remember from me childhood days growing up watching the animated Beatles show on tele.

No comments: