Sunday 11 April 2010

Goodbye to you* - Michelle Branch

And so this is it, is it? Goodbyes are never easy for me - and this is definitely one of the hardest.

We've been thru so much together. I guess deep down i knew this day would come - but i had pretended that it would never.

If i had to name my closest and most faithful earthly companion when i was doing my masters in the UK, no one would come in a close runners-up. From the day i was there till the day i left you were there for me. You were there in the darkest hours, you were there sharing my joys, you were there feeling my pain, you were there helping me in my studies. You were there to help me relax, to keep me entertained, to make sure i'd keep in touch with my frens and families, to introduce new frens to me - to even make plans for all my holidays and trips, knowing very well i was gonna exclude u from joining me. Yet, u'd wait faithfully for my return.

And now, u're gone... for good?

I'm referring to none other than my laptop. I have spent so much time together with it.

It was indispensable to my course work. Studying human rights law is not like any subject that u just read the textbook. I needed to use the online resources, journals and articles. I also needed to use my laptop to complete all my course work and my final dissertation.

The info i got from online was oso not limited to study related matters. It extended to finding a church, spiritual food, backpackers place (plus online booking), renting cars, shopping, weather (never leave for London without first checking weather.com), how to make cheap phonecalls, recipes, news, planes, buses and trains schedule etc.


It was my source of entertainment - it was where i watched all 7 seasons of Buffy, 4 seasons of 24, and many many more of Desperate Housewives, Lost, etc. and countless of movies too. I watched live World Cup games and Wimbledon matches on it too as well as many online clips like the ones on YouTube. I oso got lots and lots of music - and this made up for the fact tt i left almost all my music cds at home due to weight issues (and insufficient time to rip them into me laptop).

Thru it, i kept in touch with so my family and frens back home. I would chat with my family and frens - we would have our meeting time from different parts of the world and conference call together, playing online games too. E-mails, MSN, blogs all helped me to remain close. It was also how i kept in touch with frens on campus as well as make new frens from all over the world thru the blogging sphere.

Yes, blogging - i spent so much time just blogging and posting up my photos. Check out the links at the side bar to this blog, especially my main blog at that time, Rambling in Rayleigh.

It's no surprise that the first thing i do each day is to turn on my laptop - and the last thing i do was to shut it down. Altho there were times when it was just left on all nite long.



I went and collected back my laptop from the shop today. I stroked it gently when i got it back. And so, this is it. The end of the road for my dear old faithful laptop. The motherboard needs to be repaired - and it would take around 50 quid to fix it up.

But me mates have all been telling me tt it's time to let go and move. The laptop is old. Might as well get a new one. Why waste more money on fixing it up? It is more than 5 years old! These days, laptops are much faster, lighter and cheaper.

Yes, yes there are all right. But they dun know the history i have with my laptop. So perhaps there'll be a twist in the tail. I took it back and it will will sit in its damaged condition in the corner of my room - but for how long? Until i go and purchase a brand spanking new one? Or maybe i might just decide to send it to be repaired... yes, i'm a sentimental fool.

*She performed this song in Episode 8 of Season 6 of Buffy TVS. Such a brilliant performance and and brilliant ending. Loved this song since then!

No comments: