Thursday 22 April 2010

Out of the blue* - Debbie Gibson

Incident #1

It has been more than a year since i saw her. We have not kept in touch since the last we met - save for that FB birthday wish. We are separated by continents and would take more than half a day to just get physically close to each other.

But i received an e-mail from her the other day. She may not realise it nor even directly intended it but there was this one particular statement contained therein which really made my day.

If i needed an additional push to give my best in my job, if i needed more motivation to go the extra mile in my lesson preparation, if i needed a reminder that all my efforts are not in vain, if i needed some encouragement not to feel discouraged at how the bosses dun seem to appreciate me enough, i got it all from that one little sentence.

Thanks, MC! I really really appreciate it.

Incident #2

To be honest, i really cannot remember when was the last i saw her!!!! More than 5 years, perhaps? And just like MC above, she is all the way in London.

But time and distance do not make us strangers - we do keep in touch once in a while thru occasional messages on FB (yes, FB again! Praise God for FB which helps us keep in touch with frens). She'd make random comments about London, prolly knowing tt i'll be definitely interested in those little updates - like telling me that Camden Town is on fire, or that the snow is falling heavily and it's freezing!

So here is her latest one (doubt she'd mind me reproducing it here):-

hey, you're looking well!

i actually managed to lay on the grass for 3-4hours under the sun last weekend in the country, and it was great! i forgot that london can be quite lovely in the spring.

you're making me wonder now if i'll actually like going back to australia!
i had to laugh when i read that!!! What did i do to make her wanna stay in London? But i understand the spell that the City can have over one - it was on me and is still over me! So after laughing at this totally random note, i felt a strong longing to be back there again, enjoying the spring, and lying on the grass...

*The first track from her debut album of the same name.

No comments: