Tuesday 20 April 2010

Have a little faith in me* - Jewel

I am nobody. I'm just a lowly servant. My duty is just to serve. But i'm not complaining. Unlike a lot of other servants i know, i have a brilliant master!

He is a royal official. Mind you, he is pretty high ranking in King Herod's administration. Yet, he is a kind man. He treats me and my fellow servants fairly. Sure, he maintains the decorum and we are all expected to respect him as our master - but because of who he is, the respect comes naturally.

Besides being a wonderful master, he is also a loving father. Being an important man in the King's court does not give him an excuse to neglect his son. He ensures he spends time with the boy, teaching him, playing with him, being a father to him. It brings joy to us seeing how he loves his son so much.

So it was indeed a devastating blow - not just to my master but to all of us - when the little boy fell ill. My master wasted no effort and expenses to try to get the boy well. Sadly, the boy grew worse and worse.

The house suddenly became gloomy - like a huge dark cloud came over it and refuse to move. My master refused to eat and stayed at the boy's bed all day. We all began to worry for him too.

Soon, it became evident that the boy is not going to live for long. This was whispered in corners of the house but no one dared to talk about it. All seemed lost...

Until one day, news reached us that this certain man had arrived in a nearby town. Well, not so near - 20 miles away. This man apparently was someone special. He was powerful. He could be the little boy's only hope.

To be honest, i wasn't happy with the arrival of this person. After all, the boy is going to die - my master should just accept it and move on when the inevitable happens. He doesn't need anyone now to come and give him false hope - my master could end up a more broken person when his hopes are dashed.

But no one could stop him. He insisted on traveling ;the 20 miles just to see this man. We know it was pointless to try to talk him out of it. So off he went.

We waited anxiously by the boy's bedside. We only prayed that master would come back in time to spend the last few precious moments of the boy's life with him. We waited, and waited... and waited...

Then the unexpected happened - the boy started to stir. What is happening? He tries to get up - we stop him, of course, but he gently pushes us away. He is well again!!!! We were all flabbergasted!!! What in the world was happening?

It doesn't matter. Who cares how he suddenly got well. He is well!!!! He gets changed, he cleans up, he eats. the other servants attend to him. Me? I hurried with a couple other servants to go and look for my master. This is such wonderful news!!!!

We met him as he was on his way back. He burst into tears of joy - but somehow, he did not seemed surprised at the news. He only asked one thing - at what point of time did the boy get well. We told him - it was at 1 pm yesterday. He nodded, expecting it. And without much further ado, we rushed back.

The reunion was wonderful - the entire household started crying. We were anticipating this just a few days ago - but it was not the tears of joy that everyone was shedding now. Yet, deep inside, i wondered at the strange reaction of my master when we told him the news.

I found out later wat took place - my master had met this man. My master begged the man to come to our house before the boy dies. This man just replied "You may go. Your son will live". And you know wat? My mater took him at his word and departed!!!! No need for any reassurance, no need for any clarification, no need for further proof. My master just started making the 20 mile journey back.

But that was not all. We found out that the boy got better at the same time when this man told my master that his son will live! Yes, at 1 pm, yesterday. Amazing!!!!!

Not only could this man heal, he could do it 20 miles away!!! We have heard so much about this man - and now, all of us unsurprisingly believe in this man, and have accepted him as our Lord and savior. This is no man. He is God!

Adapted from the events found in John 4:43-54.

Among the many lessons i learnt from the said Bible passage, the one most applicable to me at this point of time was to emulate the faith of the royal official. As i shared with my Bible study mates, i would want further reassurance from Jesus. Maybe it's my training as a lawyer - but to just take this stranger at his word? That is great faith!!!!

But not impossible to have faith like that. Jesus said also that if we have just a little faith (as small as a mustard seed), we can move mountains (see Matt 17:20)!


Mustard seeds (Pic taken from online)


I've been worried a lot in recent months over the surgical fees that was spent for my operation early this year. My own personal insurance could only cover half of it. The company's insurance has so far delayed in paying. My sister has so far covered the remaining half - and it is quite a big sum.

I was worried that the insurance would finally refuse to pay and there are indications that this may happen. That would mean that i'll have no savings for a long long time as i have to slowly repay my sister. I'll be stuck in my job as i would need to make the money.

But i am no longer worried. Well, i'm not certain that i will get reimbursed by the insurance - but i am certain of this that God has promised to provide for me. So whether i get the money back or not, i shall not worry - but i will just have a little faith in God.

*This was her cover version and was featured in the movie, Phenomenon. Her version was of course brilliant!

No comments: