Thursday 23 November 2006

Somebody kill me* - Adam Sandler


Notice on the Clifton Bridge, Bristol, a fav among those contemplating to end their lives!
(Model: Markus, pic taken using his camera - cuz he lost all my Clifton Bridge pics!!!!)

In the movie Airplane and its sequel, there’s this hilarious recurring theme where the main character starts talking to people about his past – and he gets so long winded or boring that the people he talks to actually kill themselves – or attempts to!

If I ever watch those movies again, I won’t laugh at those scenes – I’ve living it now!!!

Earlier on, I stood for over an hour while me host droned on and on. As I stood there and tried to phase out like I always do, all I could think of was hitting me head against the wall!

I am not exaggerating – I timed it. It was close to 70 minutes of monologue. I remained on me feet at the hope that perhaps he may have pity on me and “release me”. I also din wanna encourage him by taking a seat – it was after all past 1 am in the morning!

But he just went on and on and on and on…

There are many more incidents – which I initially wanted to add in great detail in this post but decided against it in case I bore you to death. I wouldn’t want anyone to go thru wat I do on an almost daily basis.

I really dun know how to deal with it – he is after all me host who has kindly let me stay with him for FREE. He is so much older than me and me Asian values tell me to respect him, even give “face”.

That is why I never interrupt him, I never cut him off, I never blow him off. In fact, I even maintain eye contact with him all the time and smile feebly when he laughs at his own stories. In the past, I even ask some questions to show that I was following – but that only makes things worse.

Like yesterday, he mentioned about the place where “Amazing Grace” was written. I asked where it is. Next thing I know, he led me to the hall and he spends a considerable time studying the map of England trying to look for the place. When he couldn’t, he started looking up in his ancient encyclopaedias, in spite of me pleas that it really din matter to me at all.

What makes things worse is that he’ll tell the same stories over and over and over again. I’ve lost count at how many times I’ve heard the story of how he met his girlfriend. There was once when he started on another story and I politely cut in and said that he told me that already and even told him the ending of the story. That did not stop him for going thru every single minute detail of the story again!!!!!!!!!

*Sigh*

I’m really mean, blogging bout this. But try standing for 70 minutes at 1 am in the morning, listening to the sleepy droning of a monologue of things which either you have heard before or can go thru life without knowing it and still live a full life!

I should say that he is an extremely nice person - and it’s thanks to him that I had the chance to meet Shona, Heather and Hollie and shared a part of their lives.

I have to admit tho that some – not much, tho – of his sharing have been pretty encouraging spiritually. And he was nice enuf to cook me a nice dinner before my Europetrip! ;-P


Very British meal - bacon and liver! First time i had lamb liver! Nice!


* This is a hilarious song sung by Adam Sandler - yes, the actor - in the movie, "The Wedding Singer".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh trust me i understand perfectly! that's my landlord too!!! He's kind and friendly but sometimes i dread bumping into him when i reach home after work because he can be quite long winded with his not so interesting story...well, some people just aren't good story teller.
-ye

imissw said...

haha. looks like i'm not alone!

i do get impressed at times at how he can go on and on without needing to pause, how he can seamlessly go from World War 2 stories to the barn dance where he met his girlfren to the time he had scarlet fever when he was 9 years old!