Thursday 16 November 2006

Who am I?* – Will Young

I miss living in the flats on campus. One of the things I liked about being in the halls is hearing my name being called each the Chinese students see me. No, it’s not an ego thing. You see, I’ve learnt from my experience last year that the Mandarin speaking students from China have problems pronouncing me name – which is in Cantonese. This explains why they seldom call me by name!

When the new term started this academic year and I was “squatting” in a mate’s flat for a couple of weeks before moving to London, I introduced meself to the China students in me Mandarin name. It has been quite a novelty to me to hear me Mandarin name being used so much, not only in the flat but on the campus grounds when they see me.

In fact, not only am I getting used to it, I kinda like it very much. I considered using it on a more permanent basis – until I remembered that the name printed on me passport and student card and National Insurance Card is my Cantonese translation. Oh well…

I miss the people in Colchester (Altho it’s funny that when I got back here, the person I miss the most is no longer in Colchester!).


My name high and exalted in Chinatown, London! ;-P

You want to be where everybody knows your name…
Theme from “Cheers”

p/s:- for those of you who don't know me, check out my latest post in Hollie's Lists here for an A to Z Guide to me!

* This song was in the charts here during the summer – and on the playlist of SGR Colchester, the local radio station which we listened to day in and day out while working in the Uni café. Listening to it brings back many sweet memories! :-)

No comments: